Building record MDR4474 - Rykneld Mill, Brook Street, Derby
Type and Period (5)
- SILK MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- THROWING MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- DOUBLING MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- RIBBON FACTORY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- STEAM MILL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1840 AD)
- Listed Building (II)
- Listed Building (II*) 401099: RYKNELD MILL, BROOK STREET
'Rykneld Mills (Tape and Webbing)' is annotated at this location on the 1967 OS map. (1) Rykneld Mills was originally a silk mill probably dating from 1823. It consists of 7 storey and 5 storey blocks with many small-paned, cast-iron windows, circular section cast iron columns, iron beams and brick arch flooring. It is now weaves narrow fabrics. (2) Rykneld Mill, Brook Street, a large red-brick building consisting of two long wings set at right angles. Grade II. (3-4) In 1960 the mill was recorded as still being used to manufacture silk tapes. It is the largest of the 19th century silk mills in Derby. (5) The OS 1898 map shows a 'hosiery works' in the position suggested for this mill, however it is clear from documentary evidence that the factory was definitely positioned on Bridge Street. (6-7) Ryknield Mills, Bridge Street, Brook Street and Lodge Lane. Impressive complex of three, five and seven storey mill buildings originating as a throwing and doubling mill, established by Thomas Bridgett in the early nineteenth century. The first building on the site was Bridgett's seven storey North Mill of c.1810-2 which has brick walls, slate roof, cast-iron windows and stone lintels and sills. The five storey Middle Mill was added in c.1824-5, which was of traditional timber construction like the North Mill. The seven storey South Mill was built in 1837-8 for ribbon manufacture and is of fire-resistant construction with cast-iron columns and cross beams carrying brick arched vaults in between and floors of clay tiles, all following the precedent of Evans cotton mills at Darley Dale. Externally the mill is brick, with slate roofs, cast-iron windows and stone lintels and sills. It is possibly the earliest fireproof silk mill in England. The fourth mill on the site, the Warping Mill, dates from the 1840s and is also fireproof but without columns because of its narrowness. In the yard there are the former boiler and engine house of the 1830s, built to house a Boulton &Watt engine, with the stump of the brick hexagonal chimney stack. The former Mill manager's House and Counting House front Bridge street. The mill was in use for the manufacture of narrow fabrics and tapes until 1999 but is now in the course of conversion to residential units. (8) Rykneld Mill is a large silk mill built in c. 1808, c. 1817 and 1825 with mid and late 19th century additions built for Thomas Bridgett. The original complex comprised a weaving mill, throwing mill, ribbon mill and engine house with a boiler house and chimney. The front street range comprised of a counting house, manager's house and public house and was built from red brick with slate roofs. The South mill, a former ribbon mill, is 8 storeys with pedimented parapets at either end. It is 12 windows long and 4 windows wide, all cast iron with glazing bars. The North mill, formerly a throwing mill, is 7 storeys with a hipped slate roof, 9 windows long with 2 windows set back to the south. The Middle mill, was formerly a weaving mill, with 12 windows, a 5 storey wing links this block to the south mill. Most of the windows are cast iron with glazing bars. There is an office wing to the north, a former counting house, manager's house and public house, all 3 storeys with a painted segmental arched opening into an internal courtyard with single plain sashe windows above, that to the first floor with a stucco lintel. There is a 4 window section to the left built in two sections, the far section now rendered, with some glazing bar sashes, built as the original mill manager's house. To the right there is a 7 window section with a single blocked doorway and a boarded door. The top floor has 5 small plain sashes. In the courtyard there is the former engine house, boiler house and the base of the brick hexagonal chimney stack. The interior has wooden beams to the middle mill with re-used cast iron columns inserted in the late 19th century to strengthen the floors. The South mill has fire-proof construction with iron framed floors and brick arches. This building may well be the earliest fire-proof silk mill in England. (9)
- <1> SDR11967 Map: OS 1:2500 1967.
- <2> SDR3843 Bibliographic reference: 1975. CBA Panel on Industustrial Monuments. p13.
- <3> SDR5254 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Noro of Derby Feb 1977 16.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 182.
- <5> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Silk Mills, Derby.
- <6> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire L.9.
- <7> SDR19427 Bibliographic reference: Hunt, B. 1998. Memories of Derby. 'From apron strings to red tape'.
- <8> SDR19527 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. pp. 19-20.
- <9> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 18976.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34749 36721 (68m by 73m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 11:43AM