Monument record MDR449 - Rowarth Grove Mill (site of), Goddard Lane, Rowarth
Type and Period (4)
- MILL (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- DAM (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- CALICO PRINTING WORKS (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- RESERVOIR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Remains of Rowarth Grove Mill and mill dam. (1) One of five mills at Rowarth in the 19th century. At SK 015 900 is a former mill dam, the ruins below which are of Rowarth Grove Mill, said to have been a calico printing works. (2) 1954 OS map shows Grove Farm near mill ruins at SK 016 897, suggesting that this is the site of Grove Mill rather than the site at SK 015 900. (3) It would certainly appear that the SK 016 897 location was served by an enclosed trackway from the north east side, whereas the SK 015 900 location is somewhat more isolated. This might indicate that the mill was at the SK 016 897 location. (4) Mill reservoirs to the north of the mill site, built in the early 19th century. Provided regular supply of water for the mills. (5)
- <1> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 29.
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p 228.
- <3> SDR18538 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1954. 1: 10560. 1: 10560.
- <4> SDR18539 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1: 2500.
- <5> SDR22140 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 40.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 01621 89783 (242m by 403m)|
|Civil Parish||NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2014 10:25AM