Cox writing in 1877 noted that the church 'consisted of a chancel, nave, and a north aisle, with south porch, and a fine tower, surmounted by a spire, at the west end'. The church included a Norman doorway which indicated a date no later than 1150 for the earlier Norman church. The chancel, tower and spire were all added during restoration works in the 13th and 14th centuries. (1)
The church was gutted by fire in 1914, leaving only the outer shell of the original. A church was present here at the time of the Domesday Survey in 1087 and during the 1915-16 restoration some Saxon remains were identified. The restoration incorporated some of the original stonework which included several stones in the tower that were dressed in a pre-Norman fashion. Part of an ancient Saxon cross was recovered from part of the chancel wall. The pattern on this stone had been shelled off with the action of the fire. (2)
The church is currently in normal use. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 53, 58-9, 61.
Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1915. 'The destruction of the Church of All Saints, Breadsall', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 37, pp 91-96.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 371 398 (35m by 19m) (Centre)
BREADSALL, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 11:25AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.