[SK 35283732] Site of bath-house. Roman walls, bricks, roofing tiles, hypocaust tiles, Samian and Upchurch ware were found in September 1924 during the erection of a pavilion on the Derby School playing field, about 150 yards slightly west of south from the assumed position of the south gate of the fort. A new position was chosen for the pavilion. (1) Scheduled. (2)
A groundsman's hut has been erected on stilts over the hypocaust at SK 3529337325, and the remains of the bath-house turfed over. (3)
Following the work carried out by Sherwin in 1924, further excavations were undertaken by members of the Fuller Club, under the Headmaster, during the summer of 1925. A bronze coin and a 'quantity of much-mutilated potsherds' were found. Excavations were continued in 1926, when two coins were recorded as having been found. In February 1968, a ramp was constructed at the entrance to the sports ground to carry the access road over the newly-erected flood defensive wall. While excavating the foundation trench for the northern retaining wall, a concrete floor assumed to be Roman was encountered and cut through at a depth of one foot below the surface. The floor lay at the western end of the trench; no trace remained of any associated walls, but it was evident that the floor continued westward and southward and that only its northeast corner had been encountered. The concrete was two and a half inches thick and lay on a layer of red clay one and a half inches thick set in a layer of sand one foot thick. Two phases of occupation could be discerned, for beneath the sand and partly underlying the floor was an extensive deposit of burnt clay and charcoal some five to seven inches thick. This deposit, which also lay in sand, extended north-eastwards along the foundation trench for a distance of some forty to fifty feet. It contained no artefacts other than a few fragments of an amphora. (4)
Article in serial: Sherwin, C. 1925. 'Roman remains at Little Chester', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 47, pp 256-258.
Scheduling record: A.M's Eng & Wales 1961,31, (M.O.W..
Bibliographic reference: F1 FDC 13-JAN-67.
Article in serial: Brassington, M. 1982. 'The excavation of the hypocaust on Parker's Piece, Little Chester, Derby, 1924-1926', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 102, pp 84-86.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35296 37312 (61m by 39m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.