Building record MDR4524 - Old Grammar School, St Peter's Churchyard, Derby

Type and Period (2)

  • (Victorian to 21st Century - 1850 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • (Former Type) (Elizabethan to Georgian - 1600 AD? to 1830 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

[SK 35283599] OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL [GT] (Sunday School) (1) A Tudor building probably erected soon after the granting of the charter in 1554. (2) This school, now the parish hall is probably early 17th cent. (3) Still used as a parish hall; contains much early 17th cent. fabric but is of little architectural interest. See GP AO/66/20/3 (4) Old Grammar School, a 16th century stone building. Formerly St Peter's Parochial Hall, but now disused. A small range of contemporary panelling remains at one end of the building. Grade 2*. (5) The school is built of large sandstone blocks and is a plain rectangle on plan. The school was endowed as a Free School by a Charter of Queen Mary dated 1554 or 1555. Glover's History and Gazetteer of 1829/30 describes the school as a large room with some smaller rooms above, although by then the school was probably defunct. The date at which the school was built is not recorded, and pupils may have originally been taught in the church itself. The present building dates from the 17th century, perhaps 1674 (the date recorded on a window reveal), and was in use as a school up to 1870, after which Derby School moved to St Helen's House and this building was used as a Night School for chemistry, physics and mathematics until that moved to the Technical College in Green Lane. More recently a shop was built at the front of it and the old building used chiefly as storage. Some of the oak panelling was destroyed during a period when the building was left empty and became vandalised; parts of it have been preserved by the Museum. (6) Fabric not earlier than the first decade of the 17th century. Ceased to be a school in 1861. Some panelling was taken to the Museum when the building was converted in 1974 to offices for a photographic agency, but poorly re-installed in 1994 when converted into a Heritage Centre, itself closed in 2005. (7) The Free Schole is shown on Speed's map of 1610. (1)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Map: OS. 1951.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: VCH Derby 2,1907,217 (A.F. Leach).
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p116.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 29-NOV-66.
  • <5> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1279098.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 113, June/July 1992.
  • <7> Article in serial: Billson, P and Craven, M. 2007. 'Green Hill & St Peter's. A draft for a suggested conservation area', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 30-35. p 30.
  • <8> Map: Speed, J. 1610. Map of Derby.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3528 3599 (12m by 23m) (Centre)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR2089
  • EDR1487

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 13 2018 2:18PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.