SK 3818 3689. St. Mary's Church [T.U.] (1)
"The date at which a chapel at Chaddesden was originally founded cannot be determined with precision" .. 'spondon cum capella' is listed in the Taxation Roll of 1291, but this probably refers to Stanley Chapel [SK 4140] which was in being then and which was also dependent on Spondon. .. "The first definite mention [of Chaddesden] is in a document of 1347, ten years earlier than the foundation of the Archdeacon ..of Leicester's chantry (within the chapel of Chaddesden) ..served by a warden and three chantry priests .. The chapel or church of Chaddesden, which is dedicated to St. Mary, consists of chancel, nave, side aisles, and western tower .. The original chapel, which probably consisted simply of a nave and chancel, declares itself ..in a projecting piece of south wall at the east end of the north aisle .. The architecture of the chancel and aisles points to the Decorated style of the middle of the fourteenth century, and there can be no doubt that the building was then rebuilt and enlarged to find accommodation for the chantry priests .. In the Perpendicular period, probably in the last quarter of the fifteenth century, the church was enlarged by extending the aisles to the west .. The tower is an ordinary example of Perpendicular workmanship.." "The 'restoration' of 1859 seems to have involved a good deal of needless destruction." (2)
In normal use. (3)
St Mary's, Chaddesden was rebuilt as a college or chantry foundation in circa 1357 by Henry Chaddesden, Archdeacon of Leicester. Important as a dated example of church architecture before the advent of the Perpendicular style. The chancel was restored in 1857-8 by G Place. (5)
The bells of St Mary's are of historical significance. One of the three bells dates to circa 1500, made by the Mellours family of Nottingham, and another dates to 142 and was made by T I Hedderly, also from Nottingham; this bell is an early example of the founder's work. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1919. OS 6".
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. p304-5, 307-8.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 29-NOV-66.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p191.
Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3818 3689 (35m by 20m) (Centre)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2015 8:15AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.