Building record MDR4531 - St Werburgh's Church, Spondon, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Saxon to Victorian - 900 AD? to 1892 AD)
SK 3981 3591. Church [T.U.] (1) Spondon. "The church, which is dedicated to St. Werburgh, consists of chancel, nave and side aisles, and tower surmounted by a spire at the west end .. No part ..is older than the fourteenth century" The destruction of the church by fire in 1340 gives "almost the precise date of the greater portion of the church as it now stands." It was repaired and modernised in 1826. "..We believe that parts of the lower stage of the tower are those that belonged to the Early English Church before the fire.. The upper part of the tower and spire .. [are] probably c.1375-1400" When the Domesday Survey was taken, the Manor of Spondon possessed a church. It was granted in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) to the Hospital of Burton-Lazars. (2) "A thorough restoration was commenced in 1890, and completed in 1892 ..the architectural and other incongruities perpetrated by the restorers of 1826 have, in most cases, been removed .." (3) In normal use. (4) Church formerly dedicated to St Mary. (6) Spondon, St Werburgh's Church. Archaeological evaluation and a watching brief were carried out by Trent & Peak Archaeological Unit in 2002/3 on the site of an extension to the vestry. Although first mentioned in Domesday book, the dedication to a 7th century Mercian princess, and the existence of an Anglo-Saxon cross-shaft in the churchyard, suggest an earlier foundation for this church. Except for two courses of the south-west buttress of the south aisle, no foundations belonging to medieval elements of the church were exposed. (7) One of the bells in St Werburgh's is of historical significance. Dating from circa 1550, it was make by T Newcombe of Leicester. (8)
- <1> SDR12050 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913-38. 6".
- <2> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 293-303.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 812.
- <4> SDR6340 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-66.
- <5> SDR15647 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2520. 2520.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <7> SDR20080 Article in serial: Elliott, L. 2005. 'Spondon, St Werburgh Church', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 125, pp 92-3.
- <8> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3981 3591 (40m by 30m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2015 8:11AM