Building record MDR4533 - St Peter's Church, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Saxon to 21st Century - 1000 AD? to 2050 AD)
[SK 35313601] St. Peter's Church (1) Some Norman and 14th century work with considerable alterations in the 15th century. Restored 1852 and 1859 (2) In normal use. (3) St Peter's Church, dating from the 12th - early 14th centuries, with extensive alterations to the chancel in 1851-3, the rest of the church in 1859, the nave in 1898 and rebuilding of the tower. At the west end of the church there are now two-storeyed parish rooms, built c. 1972. Earlier remains include the Norman east wall of the nave and the Perpendicular east window. Ogee reticulated tracery is visible in the south aisle, north aisle, and west side of the chancel. Grade II*. (4-5) West tower rebuilt in 1898, the south aisle heavily restored. The 2-storeyed north-east vestry was added after the completion of the aisle and west parts of the chancel (blocked windows). The bulk of the church is evidently an early 14th century rebuild. (6) Peter's Church Yard, St Peter's Church. Generally accepted as one of the six Derby churches listed in Domesday Book, but first mentioned by name in the mid-12th century in the Darley Cartulary, when it was part of the patrimony of Hugh de Derby, co-founder of the Abbey. The medieval fabric was rebuilt and restored several times, for example : 1848-9 and 1850-52 by John Price and G Gordon Place of Nottingham; restoration in 1859 by George Edmund Street (1824-1881); and a complete rebuild of the nave in 1897-8 by John Hawley Lloyd of Birmingham. (7)
- <1> SDR11716 Map: 1950. O.S. 1/1250 1950.
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 151-2.
- <3> SDR6340 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1229224.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 172.
- <6> SDR15687 Index: TPAT. 2571. 2571.
- <7> SDR20315 Article in serial: Billson, P and Craven, M. 2007. 'Green Hill & St Peter's. A draft for a suggested conservation area', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 30-35. pp 30-31.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3530 3600 (46m by 34m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:27AM