Monument record MDR4534 - Cockpit Hill (formerly Castle Hill) motte and bailey (site of), Derby

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

SK355361: Cockpit Hill (NAT) (1) Castle Hill, now Cockpit Hill, was a Norman motte and bailey castle which disappeared at an early date. The castle is recorded as 'copecastel' in 1085, 'the castle near the market'. 'The Cock Pitt' first appears in 1610 on Speed's map, and looks like a Norman castle with artificial mound, which was levelled at about the end of the 18th century. (2-3) Completely built over. (4) On Speed's map of 1610 Cock Pitt Hill appears to be covered by a large six- or eight-sided building with a conical roof. Bulmer in 1895 reported that the slope of Castle Hill (Cock Pitt Hill) eventually became occupied by a gabled mansion owned by Mr Beardsley. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: OS 1:2500 1967.
  • <2> Article in serial: Williamson, F.. 1942. 'Old Derby Street-names', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 63, pp1-27.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p 451.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-66.
  • <5> Unpublished document: John Samuels Archaeological Consultants (JSAC). 2003. An Archaeological Desk Based Assessment of Land at Full Street Police Station, Derby. pp 22, 24.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 355 361 (point) (Centre)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1508

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 8 2017 11:48AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.