Monument record MDR4535 - Babington Hall (site of), Babington Lane, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- HISTORICAL SITE (Elizabethan to Unknown - 1585 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to Georgian - 1066 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
[SK 35293595] BABINGTON HALL [GT] (site of) (1) Babington Hall stood on the north-west corner of Babington Lane. Its gateway was in East Street and the old hall, where Mary Queen of Scots stayed in 1585, stood behind towards Gower Street. It was demolished probably in the 18th or early 19th cent. (2-4) There are no remains of the hall. (5) A newly uncovered 'Prospect of Derby from the East' shows early 18th century Derby. At the far left is Babbington Hall, built in the 1530s. (6)
- <1> SDR11721 Map: OS. 1951. OS Map, scale 1/1250.
- <2> SDR11688 Article in serial: Pyke, R. 1898. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Notes and Queries, Derbyshire Advertiser. 6:157.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p856.
- <4> SDR11685 Article in serial: 1892. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Notes and Queries, Derbyshire Advertiser. Volume 1. p18.
- <5> SDR6340 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-NOV-66.
- <6> SDR20319 Article in serial: Craven, M. 2005/2006. 'A New East Prospect', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 83, pp 20-22, illustration. p 20.
|Grid reference||SK 3529 3595 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:27AM