Monument record MDR4544 - Saxon Cemetery, Little Chester, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- CEMETERY (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- Area of Archaeological Interest: Little Chester, Derby Area of Archaeological Interest
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Excavations in 1971-2 at the Roman fort and settlement at Little Chester showed that a Saxon cemetery was established in the late 6th century outside the walls of the former Little Chester Roman fort. An investigation of the south-east corner and part of the vicus outside the east gate of the fort and the subsequent excavation of 17 burials, revealed female inhumations with brooches, wrist clasps, and a bronze bowl, also male inhumations with shield bosses, a spear-head and drinking-horn mounts. 10th-12th century occupation is suggested by the presence of Stamford ware in a cess-pit and by traces of timber buildings largely destroyed by medieval ploughing. (1-4) Trial trenches located at SK 35483754, a short distance to the north-east of the Saxon cemetery, were excavated to a depth of one metre but no archaeological deposits were encountered. (5)
- <1> SDR8916 Article in serial: Cherry, J & Webster, G. 1973. Medieval Archaeology, 17. Volume 17. p 138.
- <2> SDR5803 Article in serial: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1978. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1978. No. 12. p 3.
- <3> SDR15702 Index: Trent and Peak Archaeol Trust 2600.
- <4> SDR19477 Article in serial: Sparey-Green, C. 2002. 'Excavations on the South-eastern Defences and Extramural Settlement of Little Chester, Derby 1971-2', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 122. pp 73-121.
- <5> SDR19361 Unpublished document: Kinsley, G (TPAU). 2004. Archaeological Excavation on a Development at Centurion House, Old Chester Road, Derby.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 354 375 (48m by 28m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM