Listed Building record MDR4547 - College Of Art Annexe, Green Lane, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- COLLEGE (Victorian - 1876 AD to 1899 AD)
SK 3521 3584. The College of Art Annexe, Green Lane, dates from 1876 with additions of 1899. The stone building is noted for its Gothic style. It comprises three storeys and an attic, in addition to a polygonal tower and two-storeyed recessed bay. Grade II*. (1-2) A suggested new conservation area centres on Green Lane. The proposed boundaries include a number of buildings that are already listed, included the former College of Art by F W Waller (1846-1933) of Waller & Son, Gloucester (husband of Jessie, daughter of T H Huxley) and Thomas C Simmonds, the College's first principal, a former pupil of Waller's and a keen promoter of the Arts & Crafts movement. Built 1876 [Builder, 9/6/1877] and extended by Waller in 1896. (3) The former College of Art is a notable building in the Gothic style but with pronounced Arts-and-Crafts elements, resulting from the collaboration of the gifted principal Thomas Simmonds and his friend and former fellow student, F W Waller of Gloucestershire. It was completed in 1876 as the Municipal Technical College and enlarged in 1894. It is now an outpost of the University of Derby. (4)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1227834.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 175-6.
- <3> SDR20315 Article in serial: Billson, P and Craven, M. 2007. 'Green Hill & St Peter's. A draft for a suggested conservation area', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 30-35. p 30.
- <4> SDR22764 Bibliographic reference: Derby Civic Society. 2004. Derby Heritage Buildings.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3521 3584 (47m by 35m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2021 9:03AM