Monument record MDR455 - Edale or Champion Cross, Edale
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY CROSS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
SK 0772 8608: Edale or Champion Cross: (SK 07728609) Edale Cross (NR) (1) The Edale or Champion Cross is a boundary cross of coarse gritstone beside the track from Edale to Hayfield and is probably on its original site. The inscription 'IG 1610' on it probably refers to John Gell, a 17th century surveyor, who made a road survey of the Peak Forest. The face of the cross seems to have traces of Saxon knot-work but the edges are chamfered suggesting a later date; perhaps a Norman adaption. Routh makes no mention of the cross. (2-4) Situated at SK 07728608. the cross is free-standing and exhibits no evidence of Saxon working. See ground photograph AO/65/110/8. (5) Condition unchanged. The cross stands 1.5m. high and 0.3m. square. Surveyed at 1:10 000 on MSD.(6) SK 078861. Edale Cross. Scheduled. (7) Cross was leaning but has been reset by the National Trust who have rebuilt the stone walls around it. It is now difficult to see. No archaeological observation of resetting as NT didn't inform K. Smith as per SMC. (10) Photograph collection (12-13)
- <1> SDR11929 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1980. 1:10 000.
- <2> SDR15820 Bibliographic reference:
- <3> SDR15212 Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1904. 'Early crosses in the High Peak', The Athenaeum. No 4002. p57, 97.
- <4> SDR7574 Article in serial: Routh, T. 1937. 'A corpus of the pre-Conquest carved stones of Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 58, pp 1-46. p1-46.
- <5> SDR6292 Bibliographic reference:
- <6> SDR6524 Personal Observation: F2 BHP 13-APR-78.
- <7> SDR5577 Bibliographic reference:
- <8> SDR14894 Index: OS. SK 08 NE 4. SK 08 NE 4.
- <9> SDR7134 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1961. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81. p.136-137..
- <10> SDR14464 Index: NDAT. 0817. 0817.
- <11> SDR13972 Index: SMR Mainframe.
- <12> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 533.3, 442.14-17, 473.25A-30A.
- <13> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5003.1-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0772 8609 (8m by 8m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EDALE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||HAYFIELD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2015 9:56AM