The Wardwick Tavern was built in the early 18th century from red brick (formerly painted). It is 3 storeys high with 7 sash windows with flat brick arches and fluted stone keyblocks. There are 5 ground storey windows with modern glazing, each with a small pediment. The doorway has a stone architrave with segmental stone hood on moulded brackets and a modern inset door. There is a small moulded stone eaves cornice and panelled brick parapet with stone coping. The coach entrance on right-hand side has a timbered ceiling through the building. One upper room has a good panelled ceiling. (1)
The Wardwick Tavern is a building of c.1740, it is quite a subtle design in which a non-existant order is implied by projecting sections of the parapet between the windows, it has probably always been an inn. (2)
Allsopp's House, now The Wardwick Tavern in Wardwick, was built c.1708. It sports a very subtle brick façade. (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1229898.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 180.
Article in serial: Craven, M. 2007. 'Surviving Georgian Derby', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 36-39. p 37.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3509 3620 (16m by 27m) (Centre)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:28AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.