Monument record MDR4588 - Alleged fishpond, Common Piece Lane, Findern
Type and Period (1)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
A square close called Fish Pond, adjoining the Doles Brook, is bounded on three sides by high earthen ramparts. Traditionally assumed to be the fish pond of the Abbots of Burton, as Nicholas de Wilenton (c. 1200) licensed the Abbot and Convent of Burton to strengthen their fish ponds at Findern (1) Authority 1 provides no grid reference - the location of the site has been based on earthworks shown on the 2nd edition 25" OS map. (2) Unable to locate, no monastic possessions are known in this area. (3) A County Treasure entry records 'Monks Pond', near Common Piece Lane, as a fish pond for the Priory ('now the Old Hall'), supposedly a branch of the extinct Burton Abbey, and adds that the pond is visible as banks of earth set in the form of a square. However, an undated and unsigned pencil note on the back of the entry states 'Very likely a fishpond, but a bit worried about the Priory. Findern belonged to Burton Abbey - don't know of a 'daughter house' at Findern. Not mentioned in the Victoria County History'. (4) Nothing seems to be known about the 'lost' Priory, except for some earthworks beyond Common Piece Lane which were a retaining bank for its fish pond. (5)
- <1> SDR7929 Article in serial: Fraser, W.. 1944-5. 'Field-names in the parish of Findern, Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 65, pp 66-82. 73.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LIV.11, 1901.
- <3> SDR6286 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 30-JAN-67.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 21.1, with photos.
- <5> SDR20947 Article in serial: Christian, R. 1985. 'The village of Findern', Derbyshire Life and Countryside. Volume 50, No 5, pp 42-45.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 312 304 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||FINDERN, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 12 2016 2:30PM