Building record MDR4590 - St Peter's Church, Littleover, Derby
Type and Period (2)
SK 33233415. St. Peter's Church. (1) This church seems to have been thoroughly restored in the 14th century. It has a blocked late Norman doorway. (2) In normal use. (3) St Peter's Church dates from circa 1335, but has been extensively restored. The Norman doorway, circa 1090, originally in the west wall, is now the entrance to the belfry. Modern additions to the church include: 1856 the bellcote and north aisle, 1908 the south aisle, and 1961 enlargement of the west end. Grade B. (4-5) Late Norman doorway in west wall. North aisle 14th century, chancel early 14th century. Bellcote and south aisle 19th century. It was a chapelry under Mickleover. (6) 1860s photograph of church by Richeard Keene, not long after rebuilding by H I Stevens. Chellaston alabaster pulpit designed by H I Stevens now removed. (7) Building alterations by H I Stevens in 1857. (8) One bell in the church is of historical significance. Dating from 1636, the bell is a good example of the work of bell founder T II Hancox of Walsall. (9)
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p309.
- <3> SDR6374 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-OCT-63.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1287825.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p193.
- <6> SDR15652 Index: Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust (TPAT). Trent & Peak Archaeological Trust Index: 2525. 2525.
- <7> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 86.
- <8> SDR20086 Article in serial: Burrows, M. 1983. 'Henry Isaac Stevens 1807-1873: A Derby Architect', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 103, pp 133-136. p 136.
- <9> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3323 3416 (36m by 23m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2015 12:06PM