A grade II* listed house dated to 1649. It has square-panelled timber framing with red brick nogging, and comprises two storeys and attic. It has three-light 19th century stone mullioned windows with cast iron lattice lights, and a stone plinth. The front of the house has a central two-storey porch, the upper floor oversailing. There are splat balusters to the open sides of the porch, and a bressummer inscribed "NISI DEUS FRUSTRA 1648" (an adaptation of the opening lines of the psalm 'Unless the Lord build the house they labour in vain who build it'). There are no windows to the left of the porch, with one window to each floor to the right. It has a tile roof. The other elevations are in the same character An interesting house. The house was at one time called The Cedars and is said to have been built by a Captain in Cromwell's army. (1)
Old Hall, No.5 Orchard Street, Mickleover. Inscribed on the two-storey porch 'Nisi Deus Frustra 1648'. Timber-framed with brick infilling, the south side with twin gables. No fancy timber decoration. (2)
The Old Hall is timber-framed with brick infill, square on plan and two and a half storeys high. Maxwell Craven, in Civic Society Newsletter 54, says that the house was built by Captain Robert Cotchett, born 1611, died 1667. It would appear that the shell of this double-pile was probably completed in 1648, as indicated by the date stone, but that the interior decoration was completed later in stages. The house was substantially restored in the early 19th century when stone windows were inserted. (3)
Mickleover Old Hall is boxframed on a stone plinth infilled with brick nogging using stretcher bond, of two storeys and attics, gabled and with a huge brick chimney breast attached to the north side. It was probably thatched originally, but is now roofed in old tile, and the original timber mullioned windows were replaced in the 19th century with stone mullions with cast iron frames. The building is dated on its upper storey bressumer, with '1648 NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA' on its two-storey gabled porch. Original oak panelling in the drawing-room inscribed 'C 16-55 RA'. There is a pleasant garden with a pair of 18th century brick ball-capped gatepiers. It was bought about 1790 by Alderman Samuel Rowland of Derby who 'repaired and beautified' it, renaming it The Cedars, later Cedar Lodge, and these works probably account for the change in fenestration. Later Rowland's heirs sold a portion of his estate including the Old Hall/Cedar Lodge to Moses Harvey, who built Mickleover House 50 yards to the south. The Old Hall/Cedar Lodge became the gardener's cottage to Mickleover House until World War II. (4)
Vernacular building of 1649. (5)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1279400.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 194.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp. 144-5, illust..
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3052 3402 (14m by 16m) (Centre)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 9:37AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.