Building record MDR4611 - St Mary's Church, Boulton, Derby
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2050 AD)
SK 3844 3304. St. Mary's Church [T.U.] (1) "Boulton ... The dedication of this church or chapel has not been hitherto known, but we have found it more than once described in the Darley Chartulary as the chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church now consists of nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel, having been recently enlarged. .... In 1840 the church was extended some twelve feet to the west ... In 1871 it was again enlarged and restored by the addition of a north aisle ... The south doorway, within the porch, is of Norman date ... Up to the time of the recent restoration the chancel arch was also Norman...but this has now been taken down... [There was] ... a lancet window of the Early English period in the north wall of the chancel .. and to that time ... belong the ... buttresses at the angles of the chancel ... The ... east window ... is of Decorated design, c.1300 ... The south wall of the nave was rebuilt in 1871 ... The porch ... is of fourteenth century ... date". (2) Further references (3-4) In normal use. (5) St Mary's Church is now mostly of 1840 date by J. Mason, with 1871, 1908 and 1960 extensions, but has a 12th century south doorway, a south porch with a cusped outer doorway of c 1300, and a Norman north chancel doorway. Some Perpendicular windows also remain. The chancel, chapel and north aisle are built from snecked rock-faced gritstone, the south aisle and porch from coursed squared gritstone and the 20th century additions to the aisles from reconstituted stone. The are clay tiles with crested ridge tiles. The church is grade II* listed and of particular interest for the survival of a good 12th century doorway, and a rare 14th century porch. The rest of the church is considerably altered but is still of interest. For full description of the church please see the listing record on the NHLE website. (6) St Mary's Church is mostly 19th and 20th century fabric, the west end being built in 1840 by John Mason of Derby, the north aisle added in 1870 and an enlargement built c. 1960 by Sebastian Comper. The south doorway is Norman (one order of colonnettes, zigzag arch, tympanum almost completely defaced), the north chancel doorway is also Norman and similar to the south doorway but smaller. The south proch has a nice cusped outer doorway of c. 1300, and a few Perpendicular windows survive. The eastern stained glass window was created in 1913 by Walker J. Pearce. (7) The bells of St Mary's are of historical significance. At least one dates from 1591 and is by H II Oldfield of Nottingham. The bell itself is and early example of the founder's work. (8)
- <1> SDR12068 Map: 1923. OS 6".
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p158-9.
- <3> SDR484 Bibliographic reference: 'The Antiquary', Vol.1, No.4, 1871, p.44..
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p698-9.
- <5> SDR6375 Personal Observation: F1 JB 17-OCT-66.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1287987.
- <7> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p190.
- <8> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3844 3303 (37m by 19m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 18 2022 1:18PM