[SK 3566534997] Headless Cross [TI] [SK 34373654] HEADLESS CROSS [GT] (site of) (1) This cross stood in Friar Gate opposite the present Vernon Street. It was mentioned in 1426. The base and steps are preserved in the Arboretum. (2) A plaque on the cross base states that it was used as a market stone during the plague of 1665. See G.P. AO/66/28/3. (3)
Original site on Friargate now SMR 32429. The remains were moved back to Friar Gate in 1979.
Article in serial: Williamson, F.. 1942. 'Old Derby Street-names', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 63, pp1-27. p 11.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 01-NOV-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3566 3497 (9m by 8m) (Centred on)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 14 2014 1:58PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.