Monument record MDR4641 - Moat (remains of), Hazelwood Hill, Hazelwood
Type and Period (1)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 32784633] GRANGE [GT] (site of) belonging to Darley Abbey. (1) "At Hazelwood, in Old Duffield parish, in a field to the right of the road leading from Hazelwood to Shottle, are three sides of a once considerable moat, enclosing an area of about 200 feet square. Here there formerly stood a grange belonging to the Abbey of Darley. A few fragments of encaustic tiles and moulded stones of 14th century date were found here in 1877, as well as a Nuremburg token. This was the result of a few trenches dug across the bottom of the moat by the writer" [ie the Rev J. Charles Cox]. (2) Published survey 1/2500 revised shows the remains of the moat. (3) (SK 32784633) Moat (NR) marked. (4) A moated enclosure, 60m by 60m, is listed at Hazelwood. (5) The western arm of the moat was only 0.7m deep in 1980 and being ploughed out gradually. The site was field-walked as part of the Trent and Peak Archaeological Trust Amber Valley Survey, 2-MAR-1980 and yielded 47 sherds of Medieval pottery and 8 pieces of Medieval tile, mainly from within the moated enclosure. (6-7) The moated site of the Darley Abbey Grange was identified at SK 3281 4640 during survey in 2008. The site is aligned north-west to south-east and the north-east and south-east arms of the moat are wooded and extremely well preserved, measuring 80m by 50m and surviving to a depth of 2.5m with a berm of at least 3m. The south-west arm is visible as a cropmark and dip in the landscape. The moat is still waterlogged in places. Ridge and furrow was identified within the area enclosed by the moat arms. (8)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR19691 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Ancient Earthworks', in The Victoria County History of Derbyshire, Volume 1. pp 357-396. p 392.
- <3> SDR6071 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-SEP-66.
- <4> SDR11946 Map: 1977. OS 1:10000.
- <5> SDR15731 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c.1980-9.
- <6> SDR15555 Index: TPAT. 2268. 2268.
- <7> SDR4294 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Drage, C. 1982. Moated sites list.
- <8> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. B2/6, B2/7, Fig. 36, Fig. 37.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3277 4636 (125m by 124m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HAZELWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2015 9:45AM