(Medieval to Tudor - 1300 AD to 1539 AD)
World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Loading documents & images
SK 310 490. Shottle Park was established by the reign of Edward I and remained so until the 17th century. The outline of the park can be fairly readily identified on the map by the contour and fences shown. Palerow Lane [SK 315 511] and Pale-fence Farm [SK 323 507] show the northern boundary. (1)
In 1540 'Shothell Park' was seven miles in circumference. (2)
The boundary from SK 2946 5000 to SK 3280 5000 is represented by modern drystone walls and hedges. There is no evidence of an early pale. (3)
Shottle Park first recorded in 1330 (4).
Marked on Saxton's 1577 map as Shotley Park and was then probably disparked as it is represented without pales. It appears to have been the most considerable of the Duffield Parks. (5)
Although the name Shottle Park no longer survives, many other local names suggest the existence of a large park here in the medieval period. Palerow Lane forms its northern boundary, Palefence Farm is found on the eastern side, Shottlegate on the south and within it are Lodge Farm, Lawn Farm and Palace Lane and Cottage. Other names survived in the written record: Peat Gate, Dawegate, Watergate, Knaves Cross and Hearkening Stead. The area is well-farmed hilly ground. The civil parish boundary now includes Postern, but the ecclesiastical parish followed the boundary of the medieval park. Public footpaths and roads follow much of the seven-mile boundary and the stretch of pale to the west of Peat Gate is marked by quite a good bank. Here too is the possible site of a deer leap. The field boundaries on the outside of the park funnel in directly to the pale that appears to be lower at this point. Within the park a segment in the north-east appears to have been separately fenced and it is within this enclosure that a small moated site is located. This could have been a parker's lodge. Shottle was first documented in the Domesday Book as a manor with a berewick, Wallstone, now Wallstone Farm. It had a vast woodland pasture, some 24 square miles and this presumably was the basis of the park. It is first reliably documented in the inquisition post mortem of Edmund, the King's brother, in 1296. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Forestry', Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p. 414.
Article in serial: Strutt, F & Cox, J. 1903. 'Duffield Forest in the sixteenth century', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 25. p. 192.
Personal Observation: F1 RL 22-NOV-62.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p. 601.
Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p. 170.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 158-9.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 310 490 (3875m by 4303m) (Centre)
SHOTTLE AND POSTERN, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2020 12:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.