Monument record MDR4651 - Romano-British pottery kilns (Derbyshire ware), Shottle
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY KILN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
[SK 31414755 - sited from plan] A typical Romano-British updraught pottery kiln was cut through in 1963 when laying a gas main. The Derbyshire ware found was intermediate between that from the early Holbrook [SK 34 SE 8] and later Hazelwood [SK 34 NW 12] kilns. (1) Material from this site is in Derby Museum. No surface indications of the site are now visible. (2) SK 314 475. Shottle and Postern. Derbyshire Ware kiln listed in survey. (3)
- <1> SDR7703 Article in serial: Hughes, R & Kay, S. 1963. 'A Romano-British Pottery Kiln at Shottle Hall', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 83. pp. 103-6 plan, illust..
- <2> SDR6087 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 12-SEP-66.
- <3> SDR15731 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c.1980-9.
- <4> SDR13445 Bibliographic reference: Swan, V. 1984. The Pottery Kilns of Roman Britain. Gazeteer 252. p. 255.
- <5> SDR15559 Bibliographic reference: Trent and Peak Archaeol T 2273.
- <6> SDR8113 Bibliographic reference: Journ Rom Stud 1964 p159.
|Grid reference||SK 3141 4755 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTTLE AND POSTERN, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 3 2017 3:00PM