Find Spot record MDR4655 - Possible Roman Pottery Kiln (site of), Farnah Green Road, Farnah Green, Belper
Type and Period (2)
- POTTERY KILN ? (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Possible kiln site on the farm of D. Walker of Hazelwood. (1) The site was indicated by D. Walker at SK 3338 4732 approx. He said that dark soil and pottery was turned up by the plough which had gone deeper than intended. A scatter of probable Derbyshire ware was seen in the area. (2) SK 334 473. Hazelwood. Possible Derbyshire ware kiln site listed in survey. (3)
- <1> SDR13280 Bibliographic reference: Information from the Keeper of Antiquities, Derby Museum.
- <2> SDR6120 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 22-SEP-66.
- <3> SDR15738 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz C1980 9.
- <4> SDR13445 Bibliographic reference: Swan, V. 1984. The Pottery Kilns of Roman Britain. Gazeteer 252. p255.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3341 4734 (228m by 154m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2017 12:08PM