Find Spot record MDR4663 - Neolithic Stone Axe, Mount Pleasant, Belper
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
SK 341 485. A Neolithic polished stone axe, re-shaped at a later date by flaking both long edges, was found at a depth of one foot in garden soil. (1) Petrological examination of the Neolithic axe from Blackbrook, Belper, SK 341 485, DbM 76.48 shows it to be of Group 1 type (Cornwall). [It is uncertain whether the axe subjected to petrological analysis was the Mount Pleasant, Belper axe [SMR 17001] or the Plains Lane, Blackbrook, Belper axe [SMR 17005]. The national grid reference given by Authority 2 matches that for the Mount Pleasant axe, but the details for locality and museum collection match those for the Plains Lane, Blackbrook axe.] (2) Listed in survey. (3)
- <1> SDR5851 Bibliographic reference: 1978. East Midlands Archaeology Bulletin. Vol. 12, p 1.
- <2> SDR13190 Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78. p 70.
- <3> SDR15731 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c.1980-9.
|Grid reference||SK 341 485 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2017 11:48AM