Building record MDR4669 - St John's Church, Hob Hill, Hazelwood

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

St John's Church was built in 1840 and restored 1903. (1) The church at Hazelwood is dedicated to St John. It was erected in 1845, at a cost of about £2,000, which was raised by subscription. Soon afterwards, a district was allotted to it. It is a handsome edifice of stone in a Gothic style and is strongly buttressed. It comprises chancel, with organ chamber, nave, south porch, and a western bell turret containing two bells. The chancel is separated from the nave by a handsome moulded arch springing from three circular piers on either side. The nave is well furnished with low-backed pews of pitch-pine to seat 290. The pulpit is sculptured stone, and the lectern elaborately-carved oak, designed, made, and presented by Sir John Gay Newton Alleyne, Bart., 1893. The east window of three lights is filled with stained glass, as also are the windows of the nave, six of which are memorials. (2) St John's Church was built in 1840 by Stevens and restored after a fire in 1902 by Naylor & Sale. The church has a stone nave and chancel, a bellcote and lancet windows. (3) The Church of St Johns Evangelist is a grade II listed Anglican Church. It was built in 1840 by H I Stevens, and restored after fire damage by Naylor and Sale. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, rising from a shallow plinth, with coped gables and wheel cross finials, and a graded Westmorland slate roof. It comprises nave with gabled bellcote and south porch, chancel and vestry. The gabled bellcote is to the south west end, with angle buttresses and a trefoil-headed doorway. The tall gabled porch has a curved triangular recess incorporating a clockface. The church has contemporary interior furnishings. See list description for more details. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Index: TPAT. 2561. 2561.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 658.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 242.
  • <4> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number: 1335374, Original UID: 78994.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3281 4604 (27m by 25m) (Centre)
Civil Parish HAZELWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 3 2014 1:20PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.