Find Spot record MDR4678 - Early Bronze Age Axe Hammer, Charnwood Avenue, Belper
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 1501 BC)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
A small Early Bronze Age axe hammer, with a cutting edge one inch long, was found on the new housing estate Charnwood Avenue, Mill Street, Belper by Mr. Alton. (1) Mr. Alton is now dead and the implement could not be located. The estate is centred at SK 351 479. (2) SK 348 478. An Early Bronze Age stone battle-axe of petrological group XV (Southern Lake District), held at Derby Museum, L.166.1958. (3-5)
- <1> SDR13281 Bibliographic reference: Information from the Keeper of Antiquities, Derby Museum.
- <2> SDR6120 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 22-SEP-66.
- <3> SDR13183 Article in serial: Roe, F. 1966. 'The Battle-Axe Series in Britain', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 32. p 233.
- <4> SDR13190 Article in serial: Moore, C N and Cummins, W A. 1974. 'Petrological Identification of Stone Implements from Derbyshire and Leicestershire', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 40, pp 59-78. p73.
- <5> SDR15738 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz C1980 9.
|Grid reference||SK 350 478 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2017 12:09PM