Monument record MDR4680 - Medieval market cross (site of), St Mary's Churchyard, Denby

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The market cross, according to old inhabitants, stood c. 10 yards in front of cottages known as Market Houses. These cottages stood 17 yards from the east end of Denby church and their site is now covered by an extension of the churchyard. They, and the cross, are shown on Twigge's plan of Denby, 1834, but not on the Tithe Map of 1843. The base of the cross remained in situ c. 80 years ago. It consisted of three circular steps, each 18" wide, with a socket stone, 27" square. [Sited from reproduction of 1834 plan]. (1) The site now falls in the churchyard. A 1914-19 war memorial cross is near the site but there are no remains of the market cross. No information as to its fate was gained. (2)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fryar, M. 1934. Some Chapters in the History of Denby.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 WW 14-OCT-59.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F2 BHS 22-SEP-66.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 399 465 (100m by 100m) (Centre)
Civil Parish DENBY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR1092
  • EDR1319

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 9 2015 2:28PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.