Monument record MDR4690 - Denby Ironworks (remains of), Derby Road, Denby
Type and Period (2)
- IRON WORKS (Victorian - 1860 AD to 1860 AD)
- TOWER (Victorian - 1860 AD to 1860 AD)
- None recorded
'Denby Works (Iron)' is situated north of Denby Bottles on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) An Ironworks Tower is the last surviving structure of the important Denby ironworks. It is a tall brick tower 70 feet high and 27 feet x 30 feet whose purpose is obscure. It may have been an early hoist for loading blast furnaces or have housed a vertical blowing engine. (2) A tall brick tower is the only surviving relic of the Denby Iron & Coal Co., established 1860 by Dawes of Elsecar. (3) In 1970, a prominent building beside the Derby Road, 26' x 32' x 64' high, with a gabled roof, built in brick, 2'9" thick. Denby Ironworks was established in 1860 and closed in 1929. The building must have contained the vertical blowing engines for the nearby furnaces, but it is of unusual height and strength. (4-5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3840 Bibliographic reference: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). 1975. CBA Panel on Industrial Monuments.
- <3> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p 245.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Ironworks, Denby.
- <5> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XLV.2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 383 469 (100m by 100m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||DENBY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2023 10:20AM