Park Hall Farm farmhouse, Park Hall Road, Denby, an early 17th century building.
'Park Hall, 1702 but Jacobean in style with gables, mullioned windows and an 18th century brick porch. Good early 18th century stairwell.' (1)
'A solid house, looking very Jacobean but dated 1702, which is more surprising than in the case of most very conservative houses of this type, for there are no features apparent at all to indicate that we are in the 18th century. It is more likely that the traditional date for this house - 1588 - is the correct one, and that the date 1702 represents only modifications. The house represents a moiety of the manorial estate of the Denby family inherited by William Bernake and passed to Lord Grey of Codnor in 1334. It became a tenanted farmhouse in the 19th century, being increasingly encroached by mine and slagheap, now thankfully largely landscaped away. By 1962 it was adapted as two dwellings, but is today once again being sensitively restored. The front was probably re-faced in 1702 in stone from Horsley Castle.' (2)
'Park Hall may be constructed on the site of a medieval Parker's Lodge which, following the sale of part of the Denby manor, would have been developed into a capital messuage.' (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17 June 2022 to update text and reformat to current standards
SK 34 NE 1/10
PARISH OF DENBY PARK HALL LANE (West Side) Park Hall Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Early C17 with extensive additions of 1702 and early C20 restoration. Coursed squared sandstone with quoins and ashlar sandstone, both with sandstone dressings and deep plinth. Steeply pitched red clay tile roofs with chamfered stone copings on plain kneelers to gables, also with two large ridge stacks and a coved eaves band. Two storeys plus attics, and basement to northern end of house. Five bays, with double lobby entrance plan. Main elevation has gabled two storey brick porch to southern end of house with a segment headed doorcase and stone plinth.
Inner doorcase is chamfered with four-centred arched head and has the original studded wooden door with strap hinges and Y knocker. To south of porch is a C17 four-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with dripmould and to north there are three early C18 three-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows, also with dripmoulds. Between northern pair of windows is a quoined chamfered doorcase. Above three similar windows and another similar window above in the porch.
Beyond to south is another C17 four-light window similar to that below. Above again to north are two full gabled dormers with three-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows with dripmoulds. Garden front has coursed squared stone to south and ashlar to north. Southern part has a gabled staircase tower with three-light recessed and chamfered window under dripmould, and a painted lean-to to south with C20 three-light window. Beyond the staircase tower to north, is another C17 three-light window with dripmould and the early C18 ashlar addition with a quoined chamfered doorcase flanked by recessed and chamfered single light windows with glazed C20 door and lintel over inscribed 'L I D 1702'. Beyond again to north, two early C18 two-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows with drip-moulds. Above three similar windows to north and to south two C17 three-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows either side of the staircase turret which has a similar two-light window.
Interior has ovolo moulded beam and fireplace to northern room, large stone fire-place with moulded surround to central room and four-centred arched chamfered fireplaces to ground and first floor rooms to south. Fenestration all early C20.
Listing NGR: SK3815547366.'