Monument record MDR4694 - Flour mill (site of), Kilburn
Type and Period (3)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CORN MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLOUR MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 373455. Two low mounds about 20m across lie next to the stream alongside which runs the Little Eaton-Derby railway line. On a mid-18th century estate map the site is marked as a water mill; this is confirmed by the deposited plan of the railway line referred to above (1846) and the tithe award of 1844. (1) The Tithe Appointment Map of 1844 refers to Mill Meadow, Mill Close and Mill Plantation. The Darley Cartulary, Henry III, refers to the 'Mill of Kyleburn'; see also SMR 22001. (2) The mill was still present in the early 1830s as it is shown on Sanderson's map of 1835. (5) On the footpath between Kilburn to Holbrook. The mill is now demolished. The dam is largely infilled, but the boundary is still visible as is the mill goit. Several other watercourses are also evident, also part of the wheel housing immediately behind the modern bungalow known as Mill Cottage. (6) About 50 yards west of the A61, just off the footpath from Kilburn to Holbrook, is the site of a corn mill on Bottle Brook. The building has been completely demolished and much of the mill pond and the mill leat have been filled in. However, the site of the wheel housing and several feeder channels are still clearly visible together with several heaps of local sandstone rubble. The mill is shown on the Hunter estate maps of Kilburn of 1735 (Bramtin) and 1811 (Hutton) and is marked as a flour mill on the OS 1st edition 1:2500 of 1879. (7) The site now lies under the A38.
- <1> SDR5822 Bibliographic reference: East Midland Arch Bull 13 1979-82 28 (Amber Valley Survey, TVARC).
- <2> SDR15620 Index: TPAT. 2414. 2414.
- <3> SDR8538 Map: 1844. Map 1844 Tithe Appointment (Kilburn?).
- <4> SDR8904 Map: 1735. Matlock DRO Map 1735 9722/P1 Plan 1735.
- <5> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <6> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Corn Mill, Kilburn, 1972.
- <7> SDR4533 Article in serial: Fowkes, D & Riden, P. 1972. 'The Ripley-Swanwick-Alfreton Bypass (A61)', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol. 6 (4), pp 125-129. p 128.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 37315 45587 (66m by 45m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||KILBURN, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 8 2018 3:08PM