SK 3020 4036. The site of a well-defined feature with a maximum depth of 2m and maximum width of 4m. This feature was considered to be an antiquity by Lord Scarsdale, who drew it to the attention of the S. S. Reviser. Located and surveyed on field document by S. S. Reviser. (1)
SK 3031 4047 - SK 3021 4024. The site of an extensive ditch of varying width and depth is recorded. At no point does the feature have accompanying banks nor could any original breaks be noted. The ditch is recorded as following a winding course along the contour through a wood named 'Pleasure Ground' (OS 6" Sheet) which is partially surrounded by a 'ha-ha' and contains many planting/plantation banks and elaborate draining. It is considered that the supposed antiquity is possibly a part of the drainage scheme or an original water-course. No evidence that this feature is of archaeological interest could be adduced. (2)
This feature was first noted for its archaeological significance in 1914 when examined by Godfrey Meynell who considered it to be a prehistoric defensive structure. It was re-examined by G H Auden who also thought it to be a defensive structure, but probably from the Civil War. A trial excavation and survey was carried out in 1921. The ditch is to be found at the west end of the wood near to the road from Kirk Langley and begins just south of the existing ha ha wall. It is orientated north-south but assumes a large loop to the west before doubling back on itself and continuing in a south-easterly direction. Its total length is about 320m and the width varies between 4.4m and 5m. The depth is about 60-70cm and the profile is quite shallow. A small section of ruinous sandstone revetment wall can be seen built into the east bank of the ditch at SK 3028 4037 and it is likely that the feature represents the course of a former ha ha. It probably dates from c. 1760 when the Pleasure Grounds were laid out, and defines the extent of the deer park. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Memo (S.A.Crick July 1959 S.S.Reviser).
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 15-DEC-59.
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. pp 107-108.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3021 4037 (134m by 250m) (Centre)
KEDLESTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2015 1:19PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.