The old chapel at Quarndon was built in the Norman style and measured 44 feet by 15 feet with a good Norman south doorway. The earliest documentary evidence pertaining to this chapel is from the reign of Edward VI (1537 - 1553) but there was doubtless a chapel here during the Norman period given the presence of the doorway. The chapel underwent significant repairs in 1637 and 1790 and in about 1835 it was considerably enlarged. The chapel was taken down in 1874-5 (including the Norman south doorway), leaving only the bell tower which had been added in 1835. (1)
The chapel is marked as a ruin on the 1st Edition OS map of 1887. (2)
There was a chapel at Quarndon long before the Reformation. This church was taken down in 1874, with the exception of part of the tower, which was allowed to remain as a memento of the past. This tower is now  pictoresquely mantled in ivy. There is no record of the dedication, but tradition assigns it to St Paul. The new church, also dedicated to St Paul, was built in 1872 [see SMR 28505]. (3)
The remains of the bell tower were noted as being in a ruined condition with no trace of the early chapel. (4)
All that was left of the bell tower [in 1953] was an ivy-covered crag of walling. (5)
The old chapel is Grade II listed but the remains are scarcely visible. Surviving features are a probable medieval masonry wall of lofty proportions and probably the remains of a west tower. The site is heavily overgrown and the tower covered with 'trees' of ivy. (6)
The old chapel at Quarndon was annexed to the Chapelry of All Saints, Derby. Records dating from the reign of Edward VI mention disputes over repairs to the chapel in the 1600s. The old chapel was demolished in 1874-5 along with a Norman south door, despite having been enlarged in 1835. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 107 - 110.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1887. 6", First Edition.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 794-5.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 202.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335361.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3326 4012 (3m by 5m) (Centre)
QUARNDON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 19 2014 10:49AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.