Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR4711 - Church of All Saints, Kedleston Park, Kedleston

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to 21st Century - 1100 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Church of All Saints, Kedleston Park, Kedleston, originally a 12th century building. There is no mention of the church in the Domesday Survey, but one was probably built on the manor not long afterwards, probably by the Curzons as soon as the estate was granted to them by Earl Ferrers. The first documentary evidence for the church appears in the Curzon deeds for the year 1198-9. The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is unusual in that it has a cruciform structure, with a tower in the centre. The only remnant of the first Norman church that was built on the site is the semi-circular south door of the nave which is ornamented with chevron moulding round the top, and with beak-head moulding on the jams. Cox, writing in 1877, believes the church was built circa 1300. The church underwent some alterations between 1700-60 when the old seat of the Curzons at Kedleston was rebuilt. Cox states that this 'appears to have been most disastrous to the old glass and other interesting features of the church'. (1) 'All Saints Church, Kedleston. Essentially a late 13th to early 14th century church with a Norman south doorway. The north aisle, designed by Bodley, was added in 1906-1913.' (2) The church is recorded as being in normal use in 1966. (3) 'Parish church, now redundant [1989], dating from the 12th, late 13th, 14th, early 17th centuries, restored in 1885 and with a north aisle added in 1907-9.' (4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 34 SW; 3/40 PARISH OF KEDLESTON, KEDLESTON PARK Church of All Saints 13.2.67 I Parish church, now redundant. C12, late C13, C14, early C17, restoration 1885, north aisle, 1907-9 by G F Bodley. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables, stone ridge tiles and parapets. Chamfered plinth and string course. Cruciform plan, of central tower, nave with north aisle, transepts, clerestoried chancel and north vestry. C12 south doorway has one order of colonnettes, with beakheads biting into them. Round arch with zigzag, enclosing a defaced tympanum with traces of beasts. Plank door. To the right are two 2-light flat-arched windows with cusped ogee lights. The transepts each have a late C13 window of three stepped lancet lights, with stopped hoodmoulds. No openings to west or east. Diagonal buttresses. The south side of the chancel has a trefoiled lancet with hoodmould, a priest's doorway with continuous keeled and filletted mouldings. Door with wrought-iron work dated 1613. To the right, a 2-light, possibly C17, window under a flat arch (it is shown in an engraving of 1792). Cusped lancets with quatrefoils in circles above. The wall was raised in C17 and has two 2-light clerestory windows, each light of almost keyhole shape. East wall has diagonal buttresses and a C19 3-light window with geometrical tracery. C17 parapet with pedimented sundial with cherub head and aprons. End piers with skull and cross-bones motifs and urn finials. The north side of the chancel has a 2-light window and two clerestory windows, as on the south side. C19 flat-roofed vestry with two 2-light cusped lancets under flat arches, to the north. Three bay north aisle chapel. 1907-9 by Bodley. The bays are divided by full height buttresses with two gablets. Each bay has a row of three trefoils below the plinth, as ventilators, and a 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Parapet inscribed Qui Amultum Amavit, in each bay. Similar west bay. The west wall of the nave has diagonal buttresses and a C19 3-light window with reticulated tracery. Gable above, raised in 1885, has a small trefoiled lancet. The central tower has a chamfered string course. Below it, to south-west and to north-east, is a trefoiled lancet. Late C13 2-light bell openings with Y-tracery, to each face. Battle- mented parapet and four crocketed pinnacles. C13 steep pitch roof lines visible to south, north and east. INTERIOR: Massive triple-chamfered crossing arches with moulded capitals. Three-bay north arcade with quatrefoil piers with fillets and filleted keels in the hollows. Moulded capitals with fleurons. Arches with wave and hollow mouldings, with fleurons in the hollow. Moulded hoodmould. Piscinae, one with a single-chamfered arch in the south transept, with a moulded arch in the north transept, and one with a sub-cusped moulded arch in the chancel. Aumbry recess in the chancel. Wooden rib vault with tiercerons, under the tower. Plaster groin vaults in the transepts. Late C19 organ case in the north transept. C19 open- work wooden pulpit. Brass eagle lectern of 1886. Early C18 stone font with a circular bowl on a polygonal shaft which divides into four scrolly feet. Painted wood cover. C18 panelled dado in nave and east wall of chancel. C18 box pews in the chancel and early C18 communion rails. North arcade has elaborate iron gates and screen by P Krall. Wrought-iron corona lucis and light fittings. Stained glass; heraldic glass in the chancel. C17 continental figure screens in the south windows. Early C20 glass by F C Eden. Five hatchments. Monuments: In the chancel. Effigy of Sir John Curzon, died 1406, reset in tomb recess with depressed crocketed and pinnacled ogee arch, with shields above. The jamb of an earlier arch to the left. Richard De Curzon, died 1275, and wife, head of each set in a quatrefoil and sunk into the floor. Presumably part of the grave slabs. Richard Curzon died 1496, and wife, brass with figures. William Curzon, died 1547, incised slab set in the floor. Sir Nathaniel Curzon and wife, identical classical tablets of 1912. Alfred Curzon, died 1916, an early C17 style tablet. Blanche Baroness Scarsdale, died 1875, tablet with portrait in high relief. In the south transept. Tomb chest to Sir John Curzon and wife, c1450. Effigies and along the front of the chest figures of angels and saints. C13 coffin lid with foliated cross, possibly to Thomas De Curzon, died 1245. Incised lead plaque to William Curzon, died 1749. Sir John Curzon, died 1727, obelisk with portrait medallion surrounded by a wreath of cherubs' heads. Standing putti on either side. John Curzon, died 1719, tablet treated as a swag. Sir John Curzon and wife, 1664, two niched panels with columns on either side, and frontal demi-figures with an angel in whole figure. In the predella seven frontal busts of children between draperies. Several early C19 tablets. In the north transept. Sir Nathaniel Curzon, 1765 by Rysbrack to Robert Adam's design. Rusticated pyramid, and upright figures of husband, wife and two sons. Sir Nathaniel Curzon and wife, 1737 by Peter Scheemakers, a standing wall monument with obelisk and husband and wife in Roman attire seated with an urn between. In the north aisle chapel a large free-standing white marble tomb chest with effigies, 1913, by Sir B MacKennel. Listing NGR: SK3121940307.' (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. 171-182.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. 166.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. 57.
  • <5> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 31219 40307 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (4)

  • EDR3630
  • EDR1847
  • EDR972
  • EDR1759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 17 2023 7:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.