[Area SK 311403] The entire village of Kedleston including the rectory which closely adjoined the parish church, a cluster of cottages, a mill, malt house and a forge, were moved in c. 1760 to the present site when Sir Nathaniel Curzon obtained an Act of Parliament to divert the high road to Derby upon which the old village stood. (1)
No surface indications of desertion were noted in 1966. (2)
SK 312 405. Kedleston deserted medieval village site is listed in the survey in 1971. (3) Earthworks are recorded as remaining around Kedleston Hall in c. 1980. (4)
Kedleston is recorded in Domesday Book as 'Chetelestune', meaning 'Ketil's farm'. (5)
In 1086 the manor formed part of the land of Henry of Ferrers. Domesday Book records '5 villagers and 5 smallholders, as well as a mill and a small underwood'. (7)
The medieval settlement comprised of a manor house, a mill, a church and dwellings occupied by the villagers. The earliest structural evidence for this settlement can be found within the fabric of the church which incorporates a Norman doorway. Without further evidence it must be assumed that the former manor house occupies the same site as the existing house. The manor house was demolished after its acquisition by John Curzon in 1721. Unfortunately, there are no deeds or charters which describe the extent of the medieval manor. The earliest map of Kedleston (c. 1721-26) shows a line of 13 buildings spread out along the main east-west route through the park, later to become the turnpike road in 1737-8. It would appear that the present drive from the Village Lodge is built over much of the line of the former turnpike, so it can be assumed that the village lay somewhere between the junction with the North Lodge road and the point where the Village Lodge road enters a cutting. This now lies under rough pasture, which has preserved one or two very faint earthworks. These earthworks may easily be confused with the generally uneven nature of the land surface in this part of the park, which was probably ploughed after the removal of a WWII army camp. One or two suspected house platforms have, however, been located. (8)
Unpublished document: Evershed, R (Allen Archaeology). 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Geophysical Survey by Magnetometry on Land at Keddelston Hall.
Bibliographic reference: 'Kedleston Church', 1922, (The Marquess Curzon). p. 18. p 18.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p 185.
Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz C1980 9.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 580.
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. pp 8-43, 123-124.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 310 405 (286m by 344m) (Centred on)
KEDLESTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2021 2:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.