Monument record MDR4732 - Morley Manor House (site of), Morley
Type and Period (1)
- MANOR HOUSE (Medieval to Tudor - 1300 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
The site of the former manor house is marked as' Ruin [GT]' on the 1913-38 OS map. (1) "The family mansion of the Stathums and Sacheverells stood very close to the church, at its north-west angle. The only portion now standing is a 15th century doorway in a fragment of wall, but its extensive character can be clearly gathered from the inequalities in the turf that mark the foundations." A covered passage connecting the two buildings led to a doorway in the north aisle of the church. Marks on the external wall indicate where the supporting beams of the passage rested. Although the manor house was so close to the church, it apparently possessed a private chapel or oratory, and in 1405 an episcopal license was obtained for having Mass celebrated in this chapel. (2) This ruin was originally the Manor of Morley built sometime during the 14th century and joined to the west end of the north chapel of the present church by a covered passage. All that now remains of the manor is a doorway in the centre of about 5m of stone walling. No other part of the ruins are visible above ground. (3) See illustration. (4) Description of authy. 2 correct. (5)
- <1> SDR12050 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913-38. 6".
- <2> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 327, 340-1.
- <3> SDR15057 Personal Observation: SS Reviser 22-JAN-50.
- <4> SDR8176 Personal Observation: L.S. Reviser Nov. 1959.
- <5> SDR6363 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
- <6> SDR15729 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz c.1980 3.
- <7> SDR6553 Personal Observation: F2 FC 02-JAN-67.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3963 4094 (27m by 22m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 15 2010 3:40PM