Monument record MDR4734 - Churchyard Cross, St Matthew's churchyard, Morley
Type and Period (2)
'The shaft of the old churchyard cross still remains, near the priest's door to the chancel [of Morley Church] although considerably shortened to receive a sundial plate, which bears the date of 1762'. (1) 'In the churchyard is the shaft of a sepulchral cross'. (2) The remains of the cross are at SK 39674091. See GP AO/66/188/4. (3) This churchyard cross is medieval in date, but was made into sundial in 1762 by Whitehurst of Derby. It is built of gritstone; has a polygonal base and polygonal shaft, and stands about four feet high. The sundial has a base plate and gnomon. (6)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 1875.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 569.
- <3> SDR6363 Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
- <4> SDR15542 Index: TPAT. 2219. 2219.
- <5> SDR15690 Index: TPAT. 2580. 2580.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||SK 3967 4091 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2009 11:50AM