'The shaft of the old churchyard cross still remains, near the priest's door to the chancel [of Morley Church] although considerably shortened to receive a sundial plate, which bears the date of 1762'. (1)
'In the churchyard is the shaft of a sepulchral cross'. (2)
The remains of the cross are at SK 39674091. See GP AO/66/188/4. (3)
This churchyard cross is medieval in date, but was made into sundial in 1762 by Whitehurst of Derby. It is built of gritstone; has a polygonal base and polygonal shaft, and stands about four feet high. The sundial has a base plate and gnomon. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 1875.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 569.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 3967 4091 (point) (Centre)
MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2009 11:50AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.