Monument record MDR4737 - Roman Pottery Kiln (site of), Holbrook Hall, Holbrook
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY KILN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 3628 4451. Romano-British pottery kiln producing typical Derbyshire ware. Rim shapes and texture are identical with the pottery from Hazelwood [SMR 20401]. (1) One kiln was excavated in 1962, in the shrubbery in the grounds of Holbrook House on land which slopes to the south-east. In the field adjoining the grounds at some distance to the south-west of the excavated kiln, there is evidence of another probable kiln [SMR 20707]. (2) There are no surface indications of the kiln sites. S.O. Kay is now dead. (3) SK 363 445. Holbrook. Derbyshire ware kiln listed in survey. (4)
- <1> SDR4128 Bibliographic reference: Corr. 6" (S.O. Kay 27.5.62).
- <2> SDR7638 Article in serial: Kay, S. 1962. 'The Romano-British pottery kilns at Hazelwood and Holbrook, Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 82, pp 21-42. p22-9.
- <3> SDR6264 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 21-JAN-67.
- <4> SDR15738 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz C1980 9.
- <5> SDR15573 Index: TPAT. 2296. 2296.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3628 4451 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 10:42AM