The Market cross, probably erected when the market was established in 1291, 'stood in the wide place near the entrance to the church yard on the east. The entire basement was remaining until about the year 1830, when the stones were removed and employed in the construction of the new parish school'. (1)
A grant of a weekly market and annual fair at Horsley was made on 24 March 1291 to Richard Foliot, the market to be held on Thursdays and the annual fair on September 7-9. However, this was not the first instance of such a grant. On 8 September 1267 Henry III informed the sheriff, Reginald de Grey, that he wished a weekly market to be held on a Thursday and a yearly fair on July 31 to August 2 in the royal manor of Horsley. (2)
Article in serial: Kerry, C. 1888. 'Annals of Horeston and Horsley', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 10, pp 16-27. p. 25.
Article in serial: Fisher, F. 1938. 'Horston Castle; its governors from the 12th to the 16th centuries', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, pp 1-52.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 10-OCT-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3759 4449 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
HORSLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 6 2015 12:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.