A park at Little Eaton was enclosed in the reign of Richard I. The Keeper of "Eyton Parke" is mentioned in 1495 and "The Parke" in 1638. "It does not appear when the Little Eaton demesne was disparked. Over the adjoining lands the priveleges of a buck-leap still prevail." [Note Eaton Park Wood O.S. 6" - SK 363429 to the north of which is Whittaker Lane possibly the northern boundary of the park from SK 35284288 to 36844264. Park Farm is at SK 360422]. (1, 2)
The name Eaton Park is still in current use but only as a district name. No remains of a medieval pale were seen. (3)
Park Farm and Eatonpark Wood are the two names that remain on the modern map from the medieval deer park. The north-eastern boundary of the park is a ditched and banked bridleway. There was some disagreement over this boundary in 1232, when an agreement for a perambulation was made. The first direct documentary reference to the park is made in 1330. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 123.
Article in serial: Currey, H. 1893. 'Contributions from the Court Rolls of the Manor of Little Chester', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 15. pp 102-3.
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 02-JAN-67.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp 66-7, 191.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 363 425 (822m by 870m) (Centre)
LITTLE EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 8 2018 3:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.