Scheduled Monument record MDR4765 - Duffield Bridge, Makeney Road, Duffield

Type and Period (2)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 800 BC to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 3503 4297. Duffield Bridge. (1) The road bridge over the River Derwent at Duffield is a Grade II structure probably built in the 16th century and widened in c. 1803 by Thomas Sykes. It is constructed from sandstone ashlar with three segmental pointed double chamfered arches and triangular cutwaters. (2) Additional reference. (3) The road bridge over the River Derwent at Duffield is Scheduled. It is an exceptionally bold and graceful old bridge of three stone arches, two of which are of late Gothic form (slightly pointed). Two of the arches may be original and widened and the south parapet rebuilt in 1812. (4) At present, the earliest known reference to Duffield Bridge is an entry in the Duchy Lancaster records for November 13 1372 when the Master Forester of Duffield Frith was ordered to supply two oaks for the repair of 'le pont de Duffeld'. Clearly by that time a bridge had been in existence for long enough to require repair. In 1411 Henry IV granted the tenants trees for the repair of Duffield Bridge. Parts of the south side of the present stone bridge are probably 16th century and a date of 1706 carved on the north side has reportedly been seen. At that time the bridge was only about half its present width - even when the Derby to Chesterfield turnpike was improved in 1755 the bridge width was not increased. The bridge was sketched in 1792 and described as follows: 'There are three pointed arches of considerable height. The river at this point may be 100 feet wide and a little above shallow and stoney'. In 1803 Isaac Marshall of Belper built a new bridge of sandstone ashlar on the north side with rounded arches and cutwaters, of the same width and joined to the old part, so bringing the bridge to its present width. A stone on the south side parapet bearing the date 1812 may refer to a repair or rebuilding of the south side. (5) Has 15th century origins and is illustrated on all early county maps. (6) A number of roads and old footpaths converge on Duffield Bridge, a 13th century packhorse bridge that has been widened. A more ancient ford once existed here. The ancient track from Ashbourne to Nottingham crossed this spot, and continued over the hill by a very steep path, appropriately named 'Steep Hill'. (7)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1970. 1:2500.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158235.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. p31.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: DOE(IAM) Anc Mons Eng 3 1978 28.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Watson, W R. 1991. The Derbyshire Village of Duffield, Past and Present. pp 104-105.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2005. Summaries of Historic Transport Networks in the Derwent Valley World Heitage Site.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Bland, J. 1922. Old Duffield: Village, Church and Castle.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3503 4296 (45m by 14m) (Centre)
Civil Parish DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 13 2021 1:45PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.