Monument record MDR4771 - Possible site of windmill, Smalley Mill Road, Horsley
Type and Period (1)
- POST MILL ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
As part of the Amber Valley Survey by TVARC, a low mound about 20m across with a shallow semi-circular depression around it was identified at SK 383441, lying at the northern end of a block of ridge and furrow next to Park Brook. Aerial photographs reveal a dark cross on the mound suggesting this may be the site of a windmill. (1-3) Examination of recent aerial coverage suggests the site may have been destroyed. (4)
- <1> SDR5844 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Archaeological Research Committee (TVARC). 1980-1982. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, Supplement to No. 13 (Amber Valley Survey). p 28.
- <2> SDR15616 Index: TPAT. 2410. 2410.
- <3> SDR13405 Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force (RAF). Aerial photograph: 540/568 4192-4.
- <4> SDR20759 *Internet Web Site: Bing Maps. www.bing.com/maps. Site visited 11/01/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 382 440 (44m by 41m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HORSLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2011 12:01PM