Monument record MDR4776 - Roman Pottery Kiln (site of), south-west of Holbrook Hall, Holbrook
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY KILN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 358 444. A further Derbyshire Ware kiln was uncovered 200 yards from the kiln [SMR 20702] found in 1962 at Holbrook. It stood 7 ft. above the bedrock, and contained four radial firebars resting on two stone pedestals. (1) SK 3626 4438. In 1964 a limited excavation was carried out by R G Hughes and S O Kay of a Roman pottery kiln. It produced Derbyshire Ware types and flanged segmented bowls in small quantities. (2) Holbrook. Derbyshire Ware kiln with four radial firebars resting on two stone pedestals. Listed in survey. (3) Additional reference. (4)
- <1> SDR16577 Article in serial: 1964. East Midland Archaeological Bulletin, No. 7. p 4 (R. G. Hughes).
- <2> SDR7689 Article in serial: J Roman Studies 55 1965.
- <3> SDR15738 Bibliographic reference: Trent Valley Arch Res Com Gaz C1980 9.
- <4> SDR13445 Bibliographic reference: Swan, V. 1984. The Pottery Kilns of Roman Britain. Gazeteer 252. p254.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3619 4432 (242m by 162m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOLBROOK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 10:42AM