Monument record MDR4804 - Bleach works (site of), Alfreton Road, Little Eaton
Type and Period (3)
- BLEACH WORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILL POND (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- RESERVOIR (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The bleach mill was disused by 1900 and described in 1986 as a house with outbuildings. (1) A mill is marked at this location on Sanderson's map of 1835, although the type of mill is not specified. (2) The 1st edition 25" OS map names the site as 'Bleach Works' and depicts a millpond and a reservoir to the north of the buildings. (3) The site is no longer named on the 2nd edition, suggesting the works had gone out of use, although the reservoir is still named. (4) By the early 20th century the mill pond had clearly begun to silt up. (5)
- <1> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 24.
- <2> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 363 416 (71m by 184m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 21 2022 12:54PM