Monument record MDR4815 - Milepost, Morley Road, Morley Smithy
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1850 AD)
Triangular cast iron milepost on the Mansfield to Derby Turnpike (authorised 1764). (1) Cast iron dual faced sign with inscriptions (Derby 4, Mansfield 18, Smalley 2), set on a post behind the bus shelter at Morley Smithy. (2) A grade II listed mile post dating to the early 19th century. It is constructed of cast iron, and is triangular, on a short circular shaft. Inscribed on the shaft is 'MORLEY', and on the body 'MANSFd/18/SMALLy/2/DERBY/4'. (3)
- <1> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 35.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.2, with photo.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1140417.
|Grid reference||SK 394 415 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MORLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 11:26AM