Monument record MDR482 - Tunstead Mill (site of), Tunstead Milton, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Approximate site of a water-powered corn mill, now demolished. (1, 2) A mill at Tunstead is recorded in the financial accounts for High Peak of 1391/2. This records an income of '41 shillings from the farm of the mill at Tunstedes'. Expenses include four shillings for a millstone. There was no road in the area until 1763 when one was built which ran virtually through the mill yard. How the mill on the Randal Carr Brook met its end is unclear but it 'ceased to exist' about 1800; certainly no miller is listed in the 19th century directories. Two millstones were found on the site [at c. SK 030801] in around 1960. (3) The mill is shown on a plan of 1606 on the south side of a road named as 'The heigh way'. (4) It is also shown on Burdett's map of Derbyshire. (5)
- <1> SDR14222 Index: NDAT. 2696. 2696.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Tunstead Mill, 1970.
- <3> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. p 57.
- <4> SDR20457 Map: 1606. A Platt of Lands in the Occupation of Anthony Bennet and Others adjoining. Black & white copy from Sheffield Archives.
- <5> SDR3582 Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
|Grid reference||SK 031 801 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2015 2:31PM