Monument record MDR4825 - The Gibbet Stone, Cross Lanes, Dethick, Dethick, Lea and Holloway
Type and Period (1)
- MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
A reputed Gibbet Stone stands at the Dethick Lane and Asher Lane junction. (1) The 'Gibbet' stone on Dethick Lane is actually an ancient millstone of the sort which may be seen derelict in various parts of the county. Such stones have been found faulty and abandoned near their parent quarries. Nevertheless, as to the 'Gibbet' stone, it is not improbable that its secondary use may have been in accordance with its name, the base for a gibbet (2) A stone, known locally as the Gibbet Stone, is placed on the grass verge at the junction of Dethick, Green and Shaw Lanes. It is approximately circular, c. 1.5m in average diameter and 0.5m thick. It has a central, rectangular hole completely through it. The top of the stone is convex. It appears to be an early type of millstone but its position at a cross-roads, Cross Lanes, far from a quarry, does not accord with the suggestion that it was a rejected stone. The local name probably indicates its former use as a late medieval gibbet socket-stone. See GP:AO/60/111/6 - Stone from the north-west. (3, 4) The stone, as described was located and surveyed at SK 33435832. (5) Circular stone about 1 yard in diameter with base hole. It originally stood on a grass island in the centre of the crossroads - it is now [in 1971] on the verge. (6) A caller to the Derbyshire County Council Call Centre in January 2011 reported that the stone had been stolen. The caller was advised to contact the police. (7) Further communication from a member of the public in March 2011 reported that the stone had been found and replaced. (8)
- <1> SDR7492 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1934. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1934', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 55, pp 64-76. p 75.
- <2> SDR15818 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1935. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire (2nd list), 1935', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 56, pp 80-87. p 86.
- <3> SDR6660 Personal Observation: F3 FRH 22-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR6630 Personal Observation: F2 WCW 24-MAY-60.
- <5> SDR6460 Personal Observation: F1 WCW 05-MAY-60.
- <6> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 18.1, with photo.
- <7> SDR19557 Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc.. Information provided to the Call Centre, Derbyshire County Council.
- <8> SDR21459 Unpublished document: Hardy, L. 2011. Email to the HER, March 29 2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3343 5832 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 19 2015 11:11AM