[SK 30035715] Chapel [G.T.] (1)
St. Mary's or Cromford Bridge Chapel was built in the late 14th or early 15th century. It probably ceased to be used for religious purposes about the time of the Reformation, but the building itself survived as late as 1786. It was afterwards converted into cottages. These in turn fell into disuse and the remains of the chapel became more and more dilapidated. The freehold was then given to the Derbyshire Archaeology Society, who carried out work in 1951-2, firstly carrying out urgent repairs and renovations. This allowed excavations to be conducted within the chapel ruins. The excavations began along the eastern part of the north wall. The footings of this part of the wall were found to be of rubble. Further to the west the footings of the wall were found to be 'dressed and rectangular'. At the point where the nature of the footings changed the 'dressed and rectangular' footings of a north-south wall were traced. It was concluded that the eastern 2/5ths of the building was a later addition. Excavations within the western part of the ruins revealed a 'well built wall', a 'curved wall' and a 'very well built wall face'. This all suggested that an earlier stone structure stood on the site of the west end of the chapel site. (2)
The chapel is still in ruins. Restoration work in 1951-2 was confined to the removal of modern building material and debris from the western end, previously incorporated into an outhouse, and to effecting some repair at this end to the external walls which now stand to a height of 4 m. The excavation carried out during the same period has exposed the foundations of the remainder of the chapel. See GP AO.62/85/8 for the remains of the chapel. (3) No change. (4)
Scheduling description of Cromford Bridge includes the description of the chapel as 'walls and a good doorway, with a late 15th century casement moulding'. Uncertainty as to whether the chapel is included in the scheduling, English Heritage's 'National Heritage List for England' does not map the chapel in the scheduled area. (5)
Article in serial: Widdows, B. 1952. Cromford Bridge Chapel. Vol 72,.
Personal Observation: F1 RWE 11-NOV-62.
Personal Observation: F2 FRH 22-JUL-66.
Scheduling record: English Heritage SAMs Derby 31 Dec 1987 8.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3003 5716 (15m by 5m) (Centre)
CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 24 2021 9:12AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.