Building record MDR4847 - Riber Hall, Riber Road, Riber, Matlock Town
Type and Period (2)
SK 3085 5898. Riber Hall. (1) Riber Hall is a Grade II* early 17th century building. It is of two storeys with attics and advanced gabled wings at the sides, constructed from stone with moulded cornices, ball-head finials to all gables and generally has old stone tiles with some modern slates. It was undergoing extensive restoration when inspected. (2) The stone front garden wall and engraved stone gate piers of Riber Hall are Grade II structures. (3) The Barn of Riber Hall is a Grade II 17th century structure. It is a long single-storeyed range constructed from stone with stone gabled ends and generally old stone tiles, but also some asbestos sheeting and slates. (4) Riber Hall is a two-storeyed early 17th century hall of two storeys with attics. It has low mullioned windows and gables and has been divided into two properties since 1724. It has a cross wing plan with a balancing gabled wing at the north-east end, a good main staircase and ornamental plasterwork within. There are engraved stone gate-piers with ball-head finials to semi-circular steps within the stone garden wall. To the north-east of the hall is a 17th century stone barn, single storey with plain lights and a chamfered square-headed entrance, mostly with old stone tiles. There is another, unlisted, 18th century barn north-west of the hall. (5, 6) The present hall at Riber was built in 1661. At least that is the date set low down on the south-west gabled projection, and indeed, this appears to be that of the new build. The remainder of the house must be quite a generation earlier. (7) Vernacular building with south west wing basement door dated to 1661. (8)
- <1> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <2> SDR5300 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) U.D. of Matlock, Derbyshire, Oct 1972, 37. 3/3058/044.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/3058/140.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/3059/045.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 308.
- <6> SDR11411 Index: NDAT. 3306. 3306.
- <7> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 186-7, illust..
- <8> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3086 5900 (81m by 82m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2022 3:17PM