Listed Building record MDR4851 - Lea Hall, Lea Main Road, Dethick, Lea and Holloway
Type and Period (1)
- MANOR HOUSE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1754 AD to 2050 AD)
Lea Hall, Lea Main Road, Dethick, Lea and Holloway, built in 1754. 'Lea Hall probably incorporates surviving remnants of a house built c1320. The house seems to have been a replacement for the Manor, which stood 'a few yards west standing back from the road, which was still extant c1863. A barn then standing adjacent seems to have been a household chapel dedicated to St Mary founded c1200 and contained a decorated window and an inscription, ANNO DOMINI 1478. THYS CHAPEL WAS MADE, doubtless representing a rebuilding.' (1-2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/12/2015 SK 35 NW 1/66 PARISH OF DETHICK, LEA AND HOLLOWAY, LEA MAIN ROAD (South Side) Lea Hall, gatepier and boundary wall to the north (Formerly listed under LEA MOOR ROAD (South Side). Previously listed as Lea Hall) 13-2-67 II* House. Dated 1754 on door lintel but subjected to alterations and additions from C18 to C20. Ashlar gritstone front, rising from a stepped plinth, with chamfered quoins, modillioned cornice and parapet. Brick flanking wings, set back from main elevation, and rear elevation of coursed rubble gritstone with moulded kneelers and gable copings. Intermediate and gable end ridge stacks of ashlar, and stone slated roof coverings. Double pile plan. North range, north elevation. Seven bays, with two end bays lower and set back. Central five bays 2:1:2 with glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds incorporating projecting keyblocks. Central bay delineated by fluted giant pilasters, which support a full entablature. Modillioned cornice is carried across the five bays, and is returned at the ends. The central bay is slightly advanced, and is approached by a shallow flight of five steps. Central doorway with Gibbs surround, and door with Gothic glazing. Flanking bays with semi-circular headed windows to ground floors and flat headed windows alive, all with stone surrounds, the former with key blocks to semi-circular arches. Sash frames, incorporating tracery made up of linked semi-circles. Rear elevation, in the characteristic vernacular style, with 2 and 3-light flush mullioned windows with glazing bar sashes and some C20 frames. An inscribed lintel reads PN 1754 Interior. Entrance hall with fine C18 staircase with turned and twisted balusters. C18 panelled doors and shutters. Rear pile has full height splat-baluster stair. Dentilled plaster cornice to western brick wing ground floor room. Boundary wall to north front, approximately 70 metres long, 2 metres high in coursed squared gritstone, incorporating a drinking trough at the east end, and terminating at a square gate pier with shallow pyramidal cap at the west end. Peter Nightingale; to whom the inscription is thought to refer, was a business contemporary of Arkwright who owned the lead smelting works at nearby Lea Bridge. Listing NGR: SK3333357482.' (3)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 1/40, with photo.
- <2> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. 285, illust..
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109185.
|Grid reference||SK 33333 57482 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2023 1:06PM