Aqueduct Cottage is a Grade II listed building. It is a late 18th century former lengthmans cottage of two storeys and three bays constructed from coursed rubble gritstone with plain gables, end brick stacks, and a stone slated roof. All door and window joinery is now missing. The cottage is situated close to the Lea Wood Aqueduct and to the Lea Wood cut, linking the canal with Lea Bridge, and may have been built to serve the latter waterway. (2)
At the junction of the Leawood Branch with the canal is a lengthman's cottage built circa 1830, now without a roof. It is proposed that this structure should be conserved as a picturesque ruin. (3)
Aqueduct cottage was originally two dwellings that were almost certainly built for the use of Peter Nightingale's staff who were responsible for the lock at the entrance to this private arm, built by 1802. Complicated disputes over water rights caused the arm to be reduced to half its original length, but specific restrictions as to maintenance of water levels and access by boats necessitated the lock being manned. The cottage was last used as a residence in 1970 and after this there were various attempts to use the cottage as a walker's bunk house and fisherman's lodge, but eventually vandalism took its toll. (4)
Possibly two cottages at one time. Originally accessed by a narrow wooden swing bridge from the towpath at the narrow entrance to the Leawood Arm. Probably built by Peter Nightingale around 1802 on his land to house the lengthsman who looked after his newly constructed branch off the Cromford Canal and operated the stop-lock at the junction. The 1811 map indicates a smaller than current building which has since been extended. Today the building is derelict having last been occupied as a residence around 1970. Since than it has been used as casual accommodation for walkers, but now abandoned. The roof has collapsed and the ownership has passed to a local community trust. (5)
Aqueduct cottage, now largely ruinous, was once the home of the lock keeper, charged with overseeing this stretch of the canal. (6)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.2, with photo.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1367138.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 58, illust..
Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 26-28, illust..
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3165 5559 (10m by 17m) (Centre)
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2019 10:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.